A Breath of Fresh Air

Glimpse the Living God.

Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Connection

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves Philippians 2:1-3 (NIV)


I don’t know when I began to hear her crying in my head. I only know that it came to me loud and clear. I felt, smelled, and tasted bitter sobs that were not coming from me. I could feel my body shudder as the sadness made her succumb to a child-like rocking as she clutched a used tissue to her chest. There is not enough volume in the human voice to express the sorrow in a human soul. Her throat was hoarse from her crying, but she could not be silent. She felt so utterly alone. When she spoke into the darkness, the loneliness that overcame her made her cry even harder. There was no way to escape her despair.

I reached out to her in prayer. “Lord,” I said. “Please be with the woman who is crying so hard. Let her know that you are with her. Ease her pain and wipe away her tears.”

In her empty room, a peace settled over her. The peace felt like that of a child who is finally in the arms of one who loves her. She began to settle down, her eyes were red, her breathing was labored and she hiccuped now and then with left-over sobs. She settled into her heavenly Father’s arms as she drifted off to sleep – unaware of the spiritual connection that had just transpired between us.

Sleep well, my sister. The Lord’s mercies are new every day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen,

That was you and me last night, although you did not know it. I was crying so hard. Wracking sobs. And do you know where I went for comfort? I went to your blog. It was not an accident. It was not chance. I went there on purpose and with intent. I just knew that I would find comfort there. And I did. Thank you.

Paula

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you still writing, my friend? I hope so. I need you again. I need your wisdom and your connectivity to God. I need your fresh perspective and your sound judgment and counsel.

Paula

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home