A Breath of Fresh Air

Glimpse the Living God.

Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Monday, February 18, 2013

The Ultimate Judge

I am so overwhelmed by the depth in the book of Judges! So much adventure, and passion about a God who allows his children to have their way, but is so quick to scoop them up when they cry for help.

What I would really like to do is copy and paste the entire book here. Instead I will post a few thoughts and allow you to read the entire book in the translation of your choosing if that is your desire.

My favorite story in Judges and one of my favorites in the entire Bible is found in chapters 6 and 7.
Israel had done was was evil in the eyes of God, so he gave them over to their enemies until they cried out to him. It took them 7 years of oppression to come back to the God who loves them.

The angel of the Lord came to Gideon while he was minding his own business, threshing wheat.  


When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.” 6:12
He was the weakest man in the weakest clan in Israel, but the Lord called him a warrior. And a warrior he became. He had no faith, but he became faithful and did everything that God asked him to do. God does not call those who are already able. He enables and strengthens those he chooses.

The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?”6:14

See this - go in the strength you have. Am I not sending you? God doesn't say, well I wish you were like this guy over here, but you'll do. He says go in your strength. I know you and I'm choosing you for this mission because with me, you can do anything.

So often I get overwhelmed with my mission of being a wife and mother. There are many days where I don't feel I'm doing either one very well at all and I say, "Really Lord? You chose me to be a mother? For these specific kids? With these specific personalities, who treat each other this way? Did you think I would know what to do? Because I don't." 
He gently smiles, wraps his arms around me and says, "I know my love, but I do know what to do and I'm here and we will get through this together. He says "go in the strength you have. Am I not sending you?"

With 300 men, Gideon defeated several hundred thousand men. 
Sometimes, God breaks us down to our lowest common denominator so that there is no question about where our strength comes from or who we are relying on. In those moments, we can do anything!


Reading Ruth in February. What an amazing love story!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Beautifully said and beautifully written. :)

7:29 AM  
Blogger Steph Fink said...

You are a Mighty warrior! What a wonderful, powerful and encouraging post! :-)

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home